So, we all know drinking water for health means we must drink enough water throughout the day. But with so many options, it can be difficult to know which is the best type.
Is it enough to drink simple tap water or should you opt for bottled, filtered, ionized or electrolyte-rich water?
Take a walk through any major health store and you will be surprised by the great diversity of options.
In this blog article, I will educate you on the best hydration options according to the properties, benefits and issues of several different water options.
The Truth About Tap Water
In the western world, we are fortunate to be able to open the tap and access unlimited water. Tap water is generally clean and safe to drink but is it really the healthiest type of water you can get? Is tap water always a healthy option?
You can treat it with a large amount of chemicals that can kill bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. This means the water that flows from the power grid is very different from the type found in nature. Specifically the kind found in mountain springs and streams which are rich in natural minerals.
I have other articles on this site about the elements that can appear in our tap water. This includes everything from estradiol, ACE inhibitors and traces of lead to antibiotics, antidepressants and beta-blockers. So I won’t go over it again but read about it here: Is Tap Water Really Safe To Drink?
Suffice it to say that with more than 300 man-made chemicals that were once detected in British tap water, there are better options available.
Particularly the case if your tap water is fluoridated. Approximately 10% of the population of the UK receives fluoridated water. This includes Cumbria, Cheshire, Tyneside, Durham, Northumbria, West Midlands and most of Ireland.
In fact, many people now use a tap faucet filter to remove not only fluoride, but also hardness, chlorine and other potentially dangerous toxins. I review the best faucet filters here: The Best Faucet Filters – Review.
Healthy Water: Assessing Different Types of Water
From my point of view, “healthy water must be clean, free of toxins and particles, and properly structured. So with all this in mind, let’s take a look at the main alternatives to tap water. By the end of this you will be able to decide which water for health is right for you.
Whether it is due to concerns about tap water or a penchant for its fresher and cleaner taste, bottled water is very popular.
- The UK bottled water market is worth £ 2.4 billion and has grown year after year since 2012. Total bottled water production stood at over 2.7 billion liters last year. This is not different in the United States where consumers spend $16 billion a year.
- It is difficult to make a general judgment about bottled water, since there are many different types: mineral, spring, artesian, well, etc. Well and artesian water originate underground. Spring water comes from surface water and mineral water, which explains the lion’s share (45%) of the UK market comes from natural springs rich in minerals such as salt and the sulfur compounds.
- If you choose bottled water then always check the label to find the source and examine the mineral content. Do not be fooled by buzzwords like ‘mountain’ and ‘glacier’, as they are often little more than marketing tactics. Some of the bottled water is actually derived from the tap water that is treated / filtered before packaging.
- Of course, there is more to water than mineral content. Some studies have shown that plastic bottles filter chemicals in water, and that the longer the water stays in a bottle, the greater the concentration of chemicals in particular.
- WWF goes on to insist that “there are more regulations that regulate tap water than those applied to the bottled water industry”.
- The environmental impact, meanwhile, is huge; besides being plastic bottles that consume many resources they take more than 1,000 years to biodegrade and, if they are incinerated, produce toxic fumes.
- I can not say, in good faith, that bottled water is advisable, although if you still must then use glass, not plastic.
The popularity of alkaline water has skyrocketed in recent years, although it has been in vogue throughout Asia for much longer. Alkaline water is designed to have a higher pH than tap or bottled water, being between 7.5 and 10 (7 is neutral).
- It is also a fertile source of potassium, calcium, magnesium, silica and bicarbonate.
- Drinking water with an alkaline pH has many benefits. It has been shown in various ways that relieves conditions related to acid and pepsin, improves mineral retention and optimizes hydration after exercise.
- Most of the goodness comes from the buffering capacity of water acid, although it also has powerful antioxidant properties that help counteract oxidative stress.
- There are some ways to get alkaline water. You can buy it pre-packaged from a place like Amazon (the least favorable option for the environment) or use a filter device like the Biocera Alkaline Antioxidant Jug.
The jar uses combinations of natural bioceramic minerals to alkalize the added water, raising the pH from 7.5 to 9.5. A measure of filtration is also achieved, since bioceramics help reduce chlorine and heavy metals.
- This type of water comes from boiling water vapor. The process of boiling and evaporation produces water that has a cleaner, but also flatter flavor, similar, in fact, to what is subjected to the process of reverse osmosis or deionization.
- Distillation is an antiquated method of water purification, since better systems have been created in the last 10-15 years. Because it lacks minerals, distilled water can not replace water lost through sweat.
- It also has a more acidic pH (around 7.0), which is definitely not optimal for the body.
- Despite this, some people still claim that distilled water is “pure” and has a cleansing effect. Without a doubt, it is a way to avoid harmful environmental chemicals and waterborne pathogens.
Reverse Osmosis Water
There are advantages to drinking water that has undergone the process of reverse osmosis. Do you live in an area with lots of water related issues and concerns? Then this can be a good way to feel safe about your drinking water. If pesticides or herbicides are a concern in your community, filtering your water through a reverse osmosis system makes a lot of sense.
Reverse osmosis water is also very good if you are camping or somewhere with suspicious local water. It is one of the most effective systems to eliminate minerals in your water. But it also adds back healthy minerals so that your water is not empty like distilled water.
I have saved the best until the end. Hydrogen water or hydrogen-rich water, in our opinion, is the best drinking water in the world. But what the hell is water with hydrogen, I hear you ask.
What is Hydrogen Water?
- In simple terms, it is water that contains dissolved hydrogen gas (molecular hydrogen). Hydrogen water is the subject of much research in the Far East. In fact, its popular in Japan since the 1960s) and the results are downright incredible.
- Not only can hydrogen-rich water increase energy and improve recovery, it can also fight inflammation and neutralize free oxygen radicals. While more trials in humans are necessary (until now, most studies are on mice). The buzz around molecular hydrogen makes sense as there are more than 500 studies demonstrating its therapeutic potential.
- One person convinced by science is Dr. Nicholas Perricone, a world-renowned expert in healthy ageing, who goes so far as to say that he believes that “we will reduce health care costs by a third when people start drinking water with hydrogen”. A bold statement, no doubt, but that does not seem so surprising when you start to investigate literature.
- A 2010 study in particular shows that when 20 overweight participants with signs of metabolic syndrome drank 2 liters of hydrogen water each day for a period of 8 weeks, they experienced a 39% increase in an enzyme that protects the body against free radicals. They also enjoyed a 43% reduction in thiobarbituric acid (an organic compound related to oxidative damage). And a 13% drop in total cholesterol. Who would have thought that drinking two liters of hydrogen-rich water could do so much?
WARNING: you will need deep pockets or a filter that stimulates the release of H2. It is quite expensive. Getting a four-stage groundwater filter and hydrogen water maker provides water that can be classified as:
Which is The Best Water For Health?
The best water for health is technically HYDROGEN WATER because of the potential health benefits of the antioxidants it contains.
Hydration and nutrition are fundamentally important if you want to enjoy high levels of well-being.
However, the truth is that even the healthiest type of water can only have minor health benefits. Hydrogen water and any other water on this list can not repair an unhealthy diet or lifestyle.
The greatest health benefits of hydration come from drinking water, regardless of the type of water it is. The truth is that any type of water is good for you. So long as it is clean and free of impurities.
The conclusion is that you should consider all types of “healthy” water in the market as “life-enhancing”. Something that can slightly improve a lifestyle and a diet that is already very healthy, but not correct one that is not.