Before talking about the Novo water softener let’s find out why you might actually need one in your home.
What is Hard Water?
Hard water is what causes the white, ugly, hard to wash off limescale stains in your kitchen and bathroom. Water is made “hard” because of dissolved minerals calcium and magnesium and is measured as grains per gallon (gpg). The list below helps you understand how to measure hard water:
- Soft water: 0.6 to 3.6 gpg
- Moderate to hard water: 3.6 to 7.0 gpg
- Hard water: 7.0 to 10.5 gpg
- Very hard water: 10.5 gpg
Hard water becomes extremely problematic when you combine it with heat or soap.
Heat plus hard water causes the formation of limescale stones. This limescale then accumulates in your water pipes, water appliances, heaters and other accessories.
Soap reacts with hard water to create less lather, which makes cleaning more difficult. This also results in dull colors in your clothes as well as your hair and skin.
Hard Water Facts:
- Shower heads with hard water can lose about 75% of flow in less than 18 months.
- Water heaters can fail after only 1.6 years with hard water. With soft water, however, they tend to maintain the original factory rating.
- The operating costs can also be 34% less.
- Gas water heaters are up to 24% cheaper when they use soft water.
- You can use 50% less soap and detergent with soft water. Hard water makes soap work harder.
- Electric water heaters can collect up to 30 pounds of white limescale rock from hard water. This also shortens the life of the heating element.
Nuvo H2O vs Novo Water Softener?
It can sometimes be confusing because “Novo” sounds a lot like “Nuvo” but they are different brands.
Another source of confusion is that both of them provide water treatment systems.
However, one is well known for providing salt free systems (Nuvo H20) and the other is a salt based ion exchange softener i.e. the Novo Novosoft 485HE Water Softener.
The biggest selling point of the Nuvo water softener is that it does not use salt.
This is why it should technically be called a “water conditioning system” rather than a water softener.
Using a salt free water conditioner is good for people that are watching the amount of salt they get in their diet (although you should NOT really be drinking soft water). It’s also good for people that are ethically opposed to using and regularly buying softener salt.
However, the biggest advantage of the Nuvo water softener is its compact size which makes it suitable for people that don’t have a lot of space.
The compact Nuvo water system uses an ecological process to condition the water throughout your home.
Nuvo H2O Home System Review
The NuvoH2O claims to provide you with soft water through its FDA-approved chelation technology used in luxury hotels and restaurants around the world. The result is water that is less hard for all the uses of your home, including bathing, washing and watering the lawn and garden.
Easy to replace the patented cartridge in 60 seconds and it will last for approximately 6 months.
You will not need to buy or use softener salt, unlike traditional water softeners.
Using no softener salt means it is healthier for you, your family as well as the environment.
Cheaper water and electricity bills.
The NuvoH2O system consumes up to 4 times less water than others and does not require power.
Very little nuvo water softener maintenance needed.
It can not technically claim to provide you with soft water because you can only get soft water by using salt.
Nuvo Water Softener Tech Support
Like most water softener companies Nuvo water has a robust customer support facility. If you have problems with your Nuvo water softener you can call their customer service toll free on 877-688-6426. The correspondence address is:
Freeport Industrial Parkway
Building Z-13, Unit 15
Clearfield, Utah 84015, US
What About The Novo Water Softener?
“Novo” on the other hand, is a brand that provides a wide range of water treatment products that include filters, reverse osmosis systems and water softeners.
One of their most popular softener products is the Novosoft 485HE Series Water Softener. It is sold as a high efficiency softener that can save you up to 25% of salt and 36% water when compared to regular softeners.
Toll Free 1-877-288-9888
It’s key features and benefits are:
Unlike the Nuvo H20, this will actually provide you with soft water because it uses salt. Salt based softeners are the only guaranteed way to treat hard water while “salt-free” systems only “condition” the water to reduce hard water effects.
Provides soft water even during periods of high water usage through its “Soft Water Recharge Mode”.
Automatic system stagnant water flush after 7 days.
Exact brining, which only makes use of the precise amount of salt that it needs.
Comes with NSF, IAPMO R & T and ANSI 44 certifications. These are external awards that certify things like safety, quality materials and structural integrity.
However, there are some problems with Novo:
It’s a very small brand so there is not a lot of customer reviews and feedback available online to help decide if it’s worth it.
“Novo” sounds way too much like “Nuvo”, which is a more dominant brand that provides a similar range of products. Even search engines get the two confused and try to helpfully move your “Novo” searches to Nuvo products.
One might be forgiven for confusing the two as this was a mistake I made in the original version of this article.
In fact when you put the “Novo Water Softener” into Amazon search, you’ll get a list of Nuvo products.
The biggest problem is that you can’t buy it online or see prices. It seems the only way to get one is to book a “Novo Certified Plumber.” I’m usually skeptical of this type of business practice as it can lead to up-selling or overcharging.
Nuvo vs Novo vs Fleck?
On paper these products are ideal for anyone that wants to reduce the cost of their salt and water bills. Novo water softeners target people that are looking for high efficiency products.
When to opt for the Nuvo Conditioning System (e.g. Nuvo H20):
- You don’t want to use softener salt – ever.
- Space is an issue and you need a compact water treatment system.
- Your preference is for a system that is more environmentally friendly.
- The hard water issue you face is NOT severe.
- You don’t need it for a large family home or a commercial premise.
When to consider a Nuvo Water Softener like Novosoft 485HE:
- If your primary concern is to both treat very hard water and save on water/salt expenses.
- You want a plumber to inspect your property beforehand to tell you if the system is suitable for your home.
- Are prepared to not receive a price up-front but wait till after inspection.
- Live in the US or Canada.
Why Fleck is better:
- Fleck softener machines have good capacity and can provide enough soft water for the average family household.
- By far the best selling and most recognized brand of water softeners, this means you can read 100’s of verified customer reviews before buying.
- Customers love its very competitive pricing, ease of installation, low or no maintenance and effectiveness compared to other models.
- No need to book a plumber / sales person to visit your property to give you a quote. Just buy the softener online from somewhere like Amazon.
- Although they don’t have the same water and salt efficiency claims as Novo, you can programme the regeneration to only work when you need it. This means you will still make water, electricity and salt savings.
- Also, it allows you to set it and forget it through it’s automated softening controls.
- Prices are upfront and start at around $400-500 bucks for the lowest spec models.
- This price also means that you qualify for free shipping with or without Amazon Prime.
- Fleck softeners are VERY effective at dealing with high amounts of hard water.
- The Fleck SXT range is easy to install, easy to configure and offers the best value for money.
- Fleck softeners are available in most industrial countries including countries in North America and Europe.