The “GE water softener” is a softener offering from one of the most famous brands in the home electrical appliance industry.
The company has spent many years being an industry leader, producing good quality home electrical appliances and high performing products. Also, GE (General Electric) has a good reputation amongst consumers.
They have lots of different water softener models but there are only 2 worth talking about in my opinion.
They are the best 2 models in their range according to customer experiences. So let’s take a closer look and see which one comes out on top.
Cons of GE Water Softeners
- The average lifespan of the unit is about 4-7 years. Of course, this can be longer (or shorter) depending on how you use and maintain it.
- As with any appliance, GE water softeners are not free from technical issues and repairs can come at considerable cost.
Pros of GE Water Softeners
- Designed and produced by a brand with lots of credibility and established market presence.
- They come with good warranty and guarantees of long lasting effectiveness.
- Very easy to install and monitor when compared to some other water softener models (e.g. Culligan).
- Cost efficient, especially when it comes to water saving and salt use.
- Buying a GE water softener usually doesn’t break the bank when compared to other brands. Most customers share the view that they are some of the most affordable softeners when you compare other softeners with similar product specification.
Which Is The Best GE Water Softener?
GE has a line of water softeners that includes a broad range of models. This means you can find the right model for your circumstance. GE produce both small and large water softeners with different capacity levels to suit every situation.
The GE water softener’s mentioned below show 2 different sizes and grain capacity. They cover both ends of the spectrum of water softening needs. Let’s see how they compare:
GE Water Softener Top Model Reviews
GE GXSH40V Water Softener
As you would expect from a water softener, this machine prevents scale build up so your appliances, plumbing and fixtures are protected. It also has a number of environmentally friendly features like energy saving features, water saving and salt efficiency.
Benefits and Features of GE GXSH40V:
- The GXSH40V works on a programmable operation and also has “permanent settings memory”. This means that it will remember your preferred settings if there is something like a power outage.
- SmartSoft technology adjusts the machines operations to the water use patterns in your home. The result is that you get soft water when you need it.
- Water saving technology included.
- Softening efficiency is 125 GPG. This number refers to the maximum hardness removal.
- Salt capacity: 230 lbs.
- Iron removal is 10 ppm.
- Capacity: 40,200 grains.
- The unit can show the number of days left before the tank needs to be emptied.
- Electronic controls are easy to use and have a status light indicator.
- Includes a custom blending flow valve.
- Dimensions: 0.1 x 50 x 26 inches
- Weight: 105 lbs.
- Comes with everything you need to install.
GE GXSH45V Water Softener
This GE water softener model is similar to the GXSH40V. It includes many of the same features such as the SmartSoft technology. A technology designed to monitor your water consumption and regulate its operations accordingly. The result of this is soft water on demand.
The main difference is it has a few little extra features and a bigger capacity. The GXSH40V is suitable for a household of between 4-6 people, depending on your usage.
Benefits and Features of GE GXSH45V:
- Easy to use electronic controls with light indicator.
- The GXSH45V will notify you when your salt is low and the number of days remaining till the tank is empty. This takes the guess work out of when the tank needs to be refilled.
- Includes a sediment filter.
- It is designed to be a self-cleaning machine that will protect your plumbing system.
- SmartSoft technology similar to the GXSH40V model i.e. it adjusts regeneration based on your water use pattens.
- All its operations can be programmed.
- Capacity: 45,100 grains.
- Salt capacity: 230 lbs.
- Dimensions: 0.1 x 50 x 26 inches.
- Water softening efficiency goes up to 160 GPG (hardness removal)
- 12 ppm iron removal.
- Its custom select blending valve lets you choose the level of softness that you want.
- Reduced salt consumption.
- Uses up to 35% less water when compared to some of GE’s older softener models.
- Weight: 119 lbs.
The Bottom Line On Getting a GE Water Softener?
I have reviewed many water softeners in my time and I have to say that GE don’t do too badly.
I struggled to find issues with their softeners.
The GE water softener will provide you with good quality softening and a bunch of good technical features to boot.
I particularly like the energy saving, salt reduction and water saving features. This just means the softener doesn’t cost a fortune to maintain as is usually the case.
However, the best thing about using GE above other brands is they have a strong customer service reputation. This means that when things go wrong (and believe me, they often do with water softeners), you have an established company to rely on.