If you’re like most people, you like to swim or at least enjoy time by the pool.
Maybe you want to have parties at the pool.
Or perhaps entertain friends and colleagues. However, due to lack of space and lack of knowledge, most people believe that they can not own their own pool. Especially people that live in a city or built up area.
Also, the idea of putting a sunken pool in a backyard can be daunting. Not everyone knows that they can maximize the use of their space by adding a small portable swimming pool to their garden. And those that are aware of this possibility typically reject it. This is because we are mostly familiar with tacky looking children’s pools.
More importantly, people do not know how to care for a small pool by getting good quality small swimming pool filters.
If you do not know what to do with a small pool, then continue reading. My research will help you make a more informed decision about how to easily maintain your small pool. I will also tell you everything you need to know about small swimming pool filters.
- What Is A Small Pool?
- Buying Small Swimming Pool Filters? Here Is Your Checklist.
- Why Do Small Pools Need Filters?
- The Best Small Swimming Pool Filters REVIEWS
- Cartridge Filters
- Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
- Pool Sand Filters
- Small Swimming Pool Filters, Which Is Best?
What Is A Small Pool?
Not many people really know what a small pool really is. But small pools are something to be seriously considered. As they offer good alternatives to the cost and time of larger buried pools. The costs are generally much lower, the equipment is different and maintenance definitely does not take long.
Most people have no idea how small a swimming pool can be. When you think of small pools, the images that pop into your head are probably kids pools. Most of those that you probably imagine are something like that. A pool where you can simply sit or something in which the children are splashing and playing around.
However, a small pool can be anything that includes the following:
- It can store less than 20,000 gallons of chlorine or salt water.
- The pool is 600 square feet or less in size, in any form.
- The fact that they are small does not mean they are not for swimming.
- The shape of the kidney is the most common form. Followed closely by square and triangular shapes.
- While small pools can be used safely for exercise purposes, they are not recommended as they generally are no more than 6 feet deep.
Here are the main different types of small pools that are available:
- Training pools
- Leisure Pools
- Above ground pools
This is the most typical pool for exercise. It has a triangular shape to provide the most space available to make forward and backward turns in the pool. This is preferred by swimming enthusiasts. Also preferred by people who want a full body workout and competitive swimmers. This type of pool can also be installed above or on the ground.
This, as the name implies, is to relax in the sun and entertain. They are not for heavy exercise. But that’s good, because that’s not the purpose. A recreational pool can be any type of shape like a kidney, square or round. You can even equip it with all the accessories, like a waterfall.
Above Ground Pool
This is probably the kind of small pool that most people are familiar with. It is a good option if you do not want to invest too much money or time to set up. In general, they have a very simple configuration and are generally ready to work in about a day. This means that, theoretically, you could buy your pool in the morning and enjoy it at night.
Buying Small Swimming Pool Filters? Here Is Your Checklist.
All pools require filters and pumps. Small pools use filters adapted to their size and specific needs. There are a number of different filters that can be used with small pools.
How do you choose the right filter for your small pool?
Well, there are certain things you should keep in mind when choosing a small pool filter. You can have a professional do it foryou. But you might be a DIY enthusiast and want to learn as much as possible about how to prepare your pool yourself. The instructions can be a bit complicated and include mathematical formulas.
BUT do not worry.
I have broken down everything you need if you want to do it yourself.
- First, what is the size of your pool? It is very likely that the measurements are carried out by the manufacturer or their distributor. This means it will probably be in the manual or instruction booklet.
- How long does it take all the water in your pool to pass through the filter? This is called the turnover rate and should generally be done at least once every 10 hours.
- Find the flow rate of your pool. Since so much water can pass through your filter per minute. There is a maximum and minimum flow rate for all filters and this is important to know.
- How much water resistance will the filter offer to your pool? The greater the resistance to water, the faster it will let more water through.
- The correct filter is one that takes into account the rotation rate depending on the size and amount of water in the pool.
- Also remember that it is okay to go with a filter that is a little larger than the capacity of your pool.
Why Do Small Pools Need Filters?
Now that you have adapted to the shape, size and use of your pool, it’s time to think about pool health. I am specifically talking about keeping the pool healthy so you can continue to use it safely.
So that the water stays healthy and does not pile up with all kinds of horrible things. It has to be in constant movement. Think of it this way, would you swim in a river or lake if it was obviously dirty or does not look so good? Imagine a stench that comes from a body of water. Would you like to walk in and splash around? The fact that you can not see anything does not mean it is not there.
These are all the things that can happen. Because the water in the pool is still there, you need outside help to maintain good pool health.
You can certainly try to clean your pool manually. But you will never have enough time, strength or microscopic sight to keep your pool clean and tidy. So what do we do? This is where filters and pumping systems come to the rescue.
A filter and pump system is essential to ensure that the chemicals used to maintain your pool are well balanced. If your pool is out of balance or has no filter, bad things can happen. When debris falls into the tank, contaminants and bacteria must be removed.
A pump pulls the water and pushes it through the filter to clean it and trap the dirt.
Then, the filters eliminate the residues and contaminants that cause the risk of bacterial growth and the hoses return clean water to the pool.
The intensive use of the pool can cause pool water and chemicals to become unbalanced.
Water, which is constantly unbalanced, causes deposits on the surface of the pool and massive corrosion of the equipment. This leads to an increase in repair costs and the need to replace equipment.
The Best Small Swimming Pool Filters REVIEWS
Let’s look at the various small pool filters or small pool filter pump systems on the market for your swimming pool.
Below, I present you with the very best filters and systems available. This includes everything good and everything bad that you should know about each product.
By the end of this section, you will be better informed about the best available small swimming pool filters for sale online.
Cartridge filters are small swimming pool filters and have the same characteristics as sand filters. But they filter twice as much dirt and smaller particles. Unlike the sand filter, a cartridge filter is removable and easy to clean. So they cost less to operate because they use lower pumping pressure. But are more expensive to buy.
There are also lower costs associated with the purchase of pool cleaning chemicals. Remember that sand filters destroy the balance of your pool water? This is because when you remove the waste and the water returns to the pool, you lose part of your water and any chemical from the pool.
However, due to the way cartridge filters work, you will lose less water and associated chemicals in the pool as there is no backwash. The water is simply filtered and returned to the pool through the same source.
Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter and Pump
This filter and pump is very affordable, easy to clean and maintain, with a good flow. I always recommend replacing the pump that comes with the system with better performance. Based on the reviews, this device seems to do that. The Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge has a system flow rate of 1,180 gallons per hour.
- The cartridge needs replacing every two weeks.
- It does not come with piston valves and the cost is almost as much as the pump.
- The pump makes a very loud sound while running.
- Requires an adapter if you want to update the pump.
- You can only use it in small pools above ground.
- Some people have reported that the pump burns quickly or loses power.
- Comes with additional cartridge and two hoses.
- It has automatic pre-set timers from two to eight hours.
- Double insulated pump for longevity.
- It has a built-in timer to set the operation times.
Waterway BS5205160-6S Blue Star Clearwater II Cartridge Filter System
This complete Blue Star system is specifically for small pools with diversity on the ground.
Getting this pool filter means a lot of good things will happen. For instance, you do not have to look for additional components because everything you need is included in the package.
- The pump motor is very noisy. So it is best if you are away from your home or doing something that does not require rest and silence.
- The 1.5 hp pump may not be strong enough and may need to be replaced.
- There have been some complaints that it does not develop enough pressure for adequate pumping.
- Complete pump and filter system.
- It contains all hoses, adapters, converters and connectors.
- Ideal for both surface pools and small pools.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
DE filters are unique small swimming pool filters. They consist of a very fine and natural powder that consists of fossil remains of diatoms, which are a kind of algae. The dust is so fine that it filters almost everything in the pool water. It is also relatively expensive but many believe it is the best pool filter. But it is a more practical form of filtration than others.
Because of the way the filter works, you need to add powder yourself and then remove it if it needs a replacement. The good thing is that on average, they last about ten years. Filter parts need regular soaking to remove limescale. But a special cleaner is available for this.
Key facts – DE Small Swimming Pool Filters:
- DE filters are ideal for the person who wants a completely natural system.
- They are more expensive but seen as the best filters on the market.
- Filters most waste and particles from all filters.
- This type of filter is often called the most durable filter available.
Hayward EC50AC Perflex Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter
This DE filter is a very versatile type that can be used both indoors and out. It has a filter capacity of 30,000 gallons. Being a DE filter, it gives you the most complete cleaning experience, as it also cleans things you do not see.
- Unfortunately, a pump is not included and you need at least 1.5 horsepower.
- There are also no instructions on the package. So you need to look for installation and maintenance instructions online.
- You can use it with an oval basin of 28-33 feet and a round sink of 18-39 feet.
- The stopper grip cleans the dirt hoses and filter dust.
- It is a one-piece filter molded by injection that prevents corrosion.
- Can be used in both terrestrial and surface pools.
- The integral check valve prevents the return flow when the pump is off.
Hayward EC50C92S Perflex Extended-Cycle 1-Horsepower D.E. Filter System
This DE filtration system is a powerful and complete system designed for use in small pools. Includes a 1.5 PS Power Flo matrix pump for above-ground pools. It also includes two six-foot hoses, hose adapters and clamps as well as the necessary instructions for easy, worry-free installation. The capacity is 3,000 gallons per hour.
- Pumping this filter is the only way to guarantee backwash. Therefore, you must maintain the pace manually to make sure that your chemicals circulate correctly.
- Easy installation.
- Corrosion-free, injection molded and easy to use in the winter.
- Designed for continuous use.
- The most recent model has a secondary skimmer basket to catch more dirt.
- Includes two pumps for use in pools above and on the ground.
- Pump timer function available on the device.
- Option for the supply of chlorine in the platform.
Pool Sand Filters
A small sand filter for the pool is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a small pool filter that uses specially designed sand. It is the most common and cheapest type of filter. And works by pushing the water in your pool through the sand to remove all dirt and particles. There are some advantages and disadvantages of having a small sand filter for the pool.
For instance, they are easier to use and relatively economical compared to other filter types. It requires little maintenance and takes an average of 8 to 10 years.
Unfortunately, it will reduce the water capacity of the pool because it reduces the water level as it cleans.
Intex 16in Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump For Raised Pools
This is a low cost pump and filter system that keeps water clean. And free of growth like algae, not to mention dirt and particles. On average, it lasts about six hours a day. It has an indicator that is color-coded for easy reading. There is also a basket filter built-in and the maximum capacity of the pool is 19,600 gallons.
Good enough to prevent leaves and large debris from clogging the filter. I recommend you install the system outside a housing unit to avoid restricting air circulation. However, you can install a shield over it to protect it from the sun’s rays. The minimum capacity of the pool is 5,500 gallons.
- The sides are two wide and sometimes they can cause the sand to seep into the pool.
- You must obtain very specific sand cartridges that is only sold through the manufacturer.
- It is possible that the pump does not maintain the pressure over time and must be replaced.
- Built-in RCCB.
- It has a system flow rate of 2400 gallons per hour.
- There is a menu control valve that allows you to filter, backwash, rinse, recirculate, drain and close the system.
- Contains two connection hoses.
- Works with chlorine and salt water pools.
- Includes a security shutdown and a 24-hour automatic timer so you do not have to complete all the tasks.
Hayward S166T92S Pro Series 16-In Top-Mount Sand Filter Pool Pump
Although on the more expensive side, this top mount series offers everything. A complete full flow power pump, filter and base system. The tank is a perfect all-weather tank with a multi-way valve. The combination of pump and filter reduces the cost of energy of the pump because it can work less frequently.
Suitable for all weather conditions. The drainage of sand and water is large, so you can condition or repair it quickly. The valve provides maximum flow with low pressure drop and seven positions. The included clamp allows a 360 degree rotation, so the installation is very simple.
- Only 120V without adaptation for 240V.
- The pump is very noisy and has an unfavorable angle with the filter. This can cause a backwash in the pool.
- The connections are loose and can lead to leaks.
- The 16-inch model may not be powerful enough for pools with more than a 10,000 gallon capacity.
- It is equipped with a self-cleaning low drain.
- Resistant to corrosion.
- Has an upper diffuser and 360 degree slots for an even distribution of water through the sand filter. This let’s it obtain clean water and a balanced flow.
- The clamp allows a 360 degree turn and makes installation very easy.
- Compatible with most underground pools and aquariums.
- The multi-port valve has positions for filters, closed, backwash, re-circulation, rinse, waste and winter, and gauge with sight glass.
Small Swimming Pool Filters, Which Is Best?
I think most readers will be surprised that small pools are not always what we think. This is because we see that they can be anything from a means of exercise. Or simply for relaxing or having fun. Or, for some, they can be complicated, decorative matters.
You will have learned that although our small pools are less expensive and require less labor than large children, they still deserve all the loving care we can give them.
My hope is that this article gives you a clear idea of what you want in a small pool filter.But not only that, now that you know everything you need, pass it on. Maybe send this article to someone else in need. Personally, my favorite small pool filter is the Hayward EC50C92S. It is a good quality product that works efficiently and made in a durable way. You really can’t go wrong with its worry-free installation combined with the pumping power of 3,000 gallons per hour.