Inline Water Filters – Review and Buying Guide
Inline water filters are usually placed directly into your water supply pipeline or within a home appliance. This is usually done to save space. Sometimes you will find inline water filters connected to an RO (reverse osmosis) system. In this case the inline filter is used at the final stage of the RO system.
You can also sometimes find inline water filters used in home appliances like coffee makers as well as other small appliances. Especially appliances that have a low flow rate.
As you can imagine, there are many different types of inline filters to choose from. But don’t worry, I’ve got your back. This article will help you select the right inline filter for both your budget and your needs.
- 1 Important Things To Consider Before Buying Inline Water Filters
- 1.1 Watts 5YR Premier Filter Inline Ice Maker Water Filter
- 1.2 Culligan IC-EZ-1 EZ-Change Icemaker and Refrigerator Drinking Water Filter
- 1.3 GE GXRLQ SmartWater Inline Water System
- 1.4 Filtrete Under Sink Advanced Water Filtration System
- 1.5 So, Which Is My Favourite System?
Important Things To Consider Before Buying Inline Water Filters
Inline filters are exactly what the name suggests i.e. the water filter that is plumbed ‘inline’ with your existing water supply line. This means that your water is purified the instant it passes through the filter.
This means that if you prefer every drop of water that comes through your kitchen tap faucet to be purified then the filters will need to be replaced very often.
Before buying an inline water filter, you need to decide if you have enough space. Specifically where to mount them. Most inline filters are around 10 inches long and they are pretty heavy too so sturdy mounts are required. However, most inline filters will come with their own mount.
Aside from the 10 inches for the inline filter and extra space for the mount, be sure to add a few extra inches for space around the unit. Doing this will ensure you have enough space to replace the filters without too much hassle.
3. Replacement Costs
Finally, make sure you know how much it costs to replace the filters. Some inline filters have an artificially low upfront cost only to provide you with very expensive filters. Look at how often the manufacturer says you will need to replace the filters and work out your average annual filter replacement costs. You might find that getting a more expensive inline filter with cheaper filter replacement costs work out better in the long run.
Watts 5YR Premier Filter Inline Ice Maker Water Filter
Watts 5YR Premier filter is one of the most versatile filters available today. You can use it for your: water cooler, coffee maker, washing machine water fountain, ice maker, refrigerators and even your RV.
- One of the highest capacity water filters that can filter up to 20,000 gallons of water or last you for up to 5 years.
- NSF tested and certified meaning your filtered water is both high quality and safe.
- Also certified for reducing the odor and taste of chlorine.
- Unlike some of the other cheaper filters, this filter actually reduces scale buildup.
- The Watts 5YR improves the taste and clarity of your drinking water.
- The unit comes with a special filtration media that extends filtration life by using bacteriostatic properties.
- Easy to install and maintain.
- The filter comes with all the connection adapters and equipment that you will need.
- This is by far one of the best selling filters of its category and has lots of good reviews.
Culligan IC-EZ-1 EZ-Change Icemaker and Refrigerator Drinking Water Filter
Culligan IC-EZ-1 EZ-Change icemaker filter is one of the best refrigerator water dispensers and ice makers available today. This inline water purifier is designed to be connected to both the water and ice supplies.
- The IC-EZ-1 filter removes bad odor and taste from water, while also reducing chlorine taste at the same time.
- It also prevents other particles from getting into the water in your refrigerator.
- This Culligan inline water filter is easy to install because it easily fits into the drinking water compartment of your refrigerator’s system.
- This inline fridge has quick-connect fittings that make it both easy to install and stay in place until it needs replacing.
- The filter last for up to 3,000 gallons of water.
- This lightweight filter comes with a twist-off and twist-on mechanism, which makes replacing the filters both easy and fast.
GE GXRLQ SmartWater Inline Water System
The General Electric (also known as GE) GXRLQ filter is particularly ideal for you if you have a GE refrigerator because of compatibility. GE fridges are set up with the space to easily install the GXRLQ behind the device.
- Using this filter will remove odor and improve the taste of your water.
- It also filters the water that goes to the ice compartment of your fridge.
- The GE filter has a relatively lightweight and compact design. This means that it can fit in tighter spaces.
- Easy to install without getting an expensive plumber.
- Each GXRLQ will come with a manual and installation guide, if it doesn’t there should be many videos on YouTube showing you how to install. The unit will come with everything you need to set up the filter.
- Filter replacement is super easy with a twist and lock mechanism. Replacing the filter simply means unscrewing the old filter and and screwing in the new one.
Filtrete Under Sink Advanced Water Filtration System
- It filters out and reduces the taste of chlorine, sediments and other odors.
- The Filtrete filter features a filter media that is “electrostatically” charged, which acts like tiny magnets. The result is it both captures and attracts microscopic particles when they pass through the filter.
- DIY friendly and easy to install. All you need is a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. You will not need to install an extra filter, just install it directly to your current tap faucet. Remember that it should be connected to your cold water supply.
So, Which Is My Favourite System?
Inline water filters are the most cost effective ways to get filtered water. You can get 2000 gallons of filtered water for less than $150.
Bearing in min that 2000 gallons of water represents 5 years of water usage (from a kitchen faucet not whole house) for the average home. That means you get high quality filtered water for less than $30/year. I can’t think of too many other ways to get filtered water so cheaply.
It has a slightly higher upfront cost but filters up to 2,000 gallons so cheaper in the long run because you will only need to get a new filter once every 5 years (depending on your usage.)
Advanced filtration when compared to the others.
Finally, the starter pack gets you 2 filters plus all the equipment you need to install.