With so many pumps and above ground pool filters available, it can be difficult to choose the best one that keeps the water in your pool crystal clear.
So this article expands the various types of pool filtration systems above ground level so that you can make an informed decision.
Below you will find the best filter and pump systems available for your pool. It also features the pros and cons of each filter.
- Buying Above Ground Swimming Pool (Tips & Tricks)
- Benefits And Advantages Of Having An Above Ground Pool Filters:
- How To Choose Above Ground Pool Filters?
- Best Above Ground Pool Filter – Reviews
- SAND POOL FILTERS:
- Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 10-inch, 110-120V with GFCI
- Sand Master Soft Sided Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System
- Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH 13′ Sand Filter Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump 10000GAL
- 4500GPH 19″ Sand Filter w/ 1HP Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump
- CARTRIDGE POOL FILTERS:
- HYBRID POOL FILTERS:
- Above Ground Pool Filters, The Best?
Buying Above Ground Swimming Pool (Tips & Tricks)
When buying above ground pool filters, you should consider several factors. For instance, the efficiency and resistance of the filter and its maintenance requirements.
- The most important thing is to make sure that the filter and pump system you have chosen matches the size of your pool. This will make cleaning efficient.
- You need to find the right balance between the type and size of the filter and the performance of the pump. Above ground pool pumps vary from 0.5 to 1.5 hp (horsepower).
- Choosing a pump that is excessively strong in relation to the size of your pool is not good. It can generate excess water, waste energy, increase energy bills and, in some cases, is a threat to safety.
- Above ground pool filters and pumps are easy to maintain. You only need to clean the filter occasionally and replace it if necessary.
- These systems consume significantly less chemicals, so you spend less money in the long term.
- It is easier to repair when an error occurs because access to it is available and most filters are open systems.
- The ratio of efficiency and cost is excellent. Just because it is more economic does not mean that it does not work well. On the contrary, choosing the right equipment for the size of your pool will result in a pool that is clean and clear.
Ok so now that you know all of the basics, here is a list of the best above ground pool filters available to buy today. Included in each review are the pros and cons so you can make an informed choice.
How To Choose Above Ground Pool Filters?
Buying above ground pool filters means you have so many factors to consider. For instance, you need to think about things like space, climate and budget. These are the most important aspects to evaluate. But in addition to this you need to also ask yourself these questions:
- How much money do I want to spend?
- Can I use the pool all year?
- How big is the space in my garden that I can use to install the pool?
- Is it just free time or do I want to train in it?
- How will my garden change after installing the pool?
Taking all these factors into account, I have compiled a list of the best above ground pool filters. They are separated according to their filter type and includes a list of their pros and cons.
Best Above Ground Pool Filter – Reviews
SAND POOL FILTERS:
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 10-inch, 110-120V with GFCI
This pool sand filter system has a six-function control valve. This means it will filter, backwash, rinse, recirculate, drain and close the system. Thereby ensuring the purity and safety of your pool water.
- It has a 24-hour timer that allows you to set the automatic uptime and a security override system that facilitates the maintenance of the pool.
- The flow of the pump is 1.2K gallons per hour. So it works well with any Intex pool above ground. Especially for the 18-foot ultra-box group, the 24×12 foot ultra-rectangular rectangular group and the 16-inch model Wooden frame pool “feet x-8”.
- This filter system is ideal for people who do not want to waste time with the filter cartridge replacement.
- It does not require much maintenance since the sand must be changed every five years.
- The system measures 15 “x 13.6″ x 20.5” and weighs 22.8 lbs.
- The Intex sand filter pump is extremely efficient and cost-effective.
- Proven to comply with UL / CSA standards and complies with international safety standards.
- This sand filter system is very popular because it can absorb more small particles of dirt and microorganisms that float in a pool.
- It does not come with the piston valves and the 1.5 inch inlet / outlet connections.
- When updating your pump filter, you must be careful. Piston valves in the pool may not be suitable for the increased water pressure of the new pump.
- It can be noisy.
- It includes a RCCB to avoid short circuits and system overloads.
- Contains a strainer basket, which extends the life of the sand and is easy to clean.
- It has a 24-hour timer to set automatic filtration times, which helps with daily maintenance.
- Efficient and durable. The sand only needs to be replaced every five years.
Sand Master Soft Sided Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System
This above ground pool filters system is good for all soft pools above the ground. It is a 20-gallon-per-minute pump with a convenient 4-function valve. This pump and filter system for soft side pools keeps pool water clean so you can use it for longer without having to change the water.
It is easy to install and works with pools up to 9.6K gallons. The unit itself measures 21.8 x 12.8 x 16.5 inches. It weighs 22.4 pounds and has a limited warranty of 1 year.
Includes a good pump. Given the price and the fact that the sand only need changing once every 5 years, it seems to be a good investment.
- The timer does not have an automatic on / off switch.
- It does not contain sand.
- It is difficult to obtain spare parts if one of the pieces breaks down.
- It is easy to install and takes only 10-15 minutes.
- Comes with all the necessary installations to carry out the installation material, such as hoses and nails.
- It is very quiet.
- 1 year limited warranty.
- You save time and money because you do not have to replace the filters often.
- The filter tank is resistant to inclement weather and corrosion and can contain up to 42 pounds of sand.
Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH 13′ Sand Filter Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump 10000GAL
Best Choice products are one of the most popular manufacturers of pumps and filter systems for above-ground pools.
- The Pro 2400GPH 13 will fit most current above ground pools.
- It is a cost-effective maintenance option to keep your pool clean and free of sediments.
- This system has a powerful 2.4 gallon per minute pump and a 4 function valve.
- The sand bed has a large capacity, which allows it to trap a greater amount of dirt and use long filtration cycles.
- It is easy to install and easy to use, and will keep your pool in good condition.
- This sand filter pump system complies with CSA standards.
- Also works with elevated pools of up to 10,000 gallons and is a self-priming pump.
- The sand filter drum measures 23.5 “H × 13” W with a 13 “capacity 42 lb. sand filter.
- Its size is 18.5 x 26.5 x 23.5 inches and weighs 26.2 pounds.
- The size of the sand is 0.018-0.022 inches (this is not included and must be purchased separately).
- It comes with a filter basket and the pump is protected against temperature.
- The sand does not come with the pump filter.
- Labeled ETL listed. This means that the product has been independently tested and meets the applicable safety standard.
- Comes with a 60 day guarantee.
- The pump is thermally protected and the filter basket is included.
- It has a large capacity sand bed.
4500GPH 19″ Sand Filter w/ 1HP Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump
This is one of the most efficient above ground pool filters and pump systems. It has a simple installation method and is easy to operate.
The filter itself is a one-piece blow molded tank that rests on a universal base that can be adapted to most pumps. It has a 6 position valve and a large capacity sand bed that helps trap more debris. Its size is 29 x 19 x 37 inches and a weight of 35 pounds. The tank has a capacity of 175 pounds of sand, which is not included in the purchase price.
The 1 horsepower pump has a flow rate of 4.5K gallons per hour and does not require a primer.
This system is recommended for pools of up to 18,000 liters of water. The sand in the filter is easy to change and is an efficient filter.
On the other hand, the hose clamps that come with the device are not very strong. They tend to brake during installation and it seems that it is not so easily adaptable to most hoses. This means that you need additional accessories, buy adapters or be able to install as is.
- The instructions for assembly are very clear.
- Supplied hose clamps are weak.
- You may need to buy additional accessories or adapters.
- The filter has a universal base that can accommodate most pumps.
- It is an efficient filter and easy to clean.
- Has a self-priming pump.
CARTRIDGE POOL FILTERS:
Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI
The Intex above ground pool filters help keep your pool water clean and clear. They are one of the cheapest offerings on this list, yet provide lots of value. Here are some of their key characteristics and specifications that you should know:
- The Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge filter pump for elevated pools has a flow rate of 2.5K gallons per hour.
- The circulation of water and the filtration of your pool on the ground keeps the water clean and increase the useful life.
- This cartridge filter pump is especially for elevated pools with a diameter of up to 24 feet.
- It is easy to maintain. And only requires a quarterly filter change.
- This model uses Intex type B filters.
- In addition, it has a built-in timer that allows you to set automatic operation times according to your schedule, and an automatic switch to prevent short circuits or overloads.
- All Intex products undergo extensive testing to ensure they comply with international safety standards.
- This pump is designed for connection to easily alternate swimming pools with frame, rectangular frame and elliptical oval pool by Intex. But also the same size and shape as other manufacturers such as Sand-n-Sun and Aqua.
- This product measures 16 x 13.75 x 18.5 inches and weighs 24.2 pounds.
- They say they can work with pools of similar sizes from other brands, but you may need to buy additional plumbing adapters to work properly.
- The filter is not easy to change.
- It is quieter than other models.
- Has a residual current device (GFCI), which prevents overloading the circuit
- With a built-in timer, you can set a daily cleaning cycle of 2, 4, 6, 8 or 12 hours as needed.
- Easy to install.
- It has a sediment valve in the lower part of the chamber where the filter is located, which facilitates maintenance.
HYBRID POOL FILTERS:
Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System
With E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools, 110-120V with GFCI
The combined sand and saltwater pump system from Intex oxidation (ECO) combines the best of two world-class systems. It does this to keep your pool water crystal clear and safe, while providing a cost-effective alternative to maintaining the pool.
- This filter system will eliminate bacteria, oxidize organic matter and combat algae.
- It comes with a 24-hour timer to control both automatically. The dual system works with pools with a capacity between 4.8K and 15K gallons.
- It has a fault current circuit breaker (CFGI) to prevent system overload and prevent accidents in the event of a short circuit.
- The flow of the pump is 2,650 gallons per hour. While the flow of the system is 2,125 gallons per hour.
- It has a capacity of 100 lbs. Sand: 70 lbs. Chlorine production is 11 grams per hour.
- The entire system has a size of 28.2 x 16.6 x 27.1 inches and a weight of 52.1 pounds.
- The disadvantage of this is that you may need to purchase additional faucets according to your pool’s connection system.
- 2 years warranty.
- Environmentally friendly.
- It includes CFGI which will stop the system from overloading.
Above Ground Pool Filters, The Best?
When choosing above ground pool filters, you should consider a number of factors.
Factors like the cost of replacements, budget, its appearance, the size and model of your pool.
Checking all this will make sure the water in your pool is clean, clear and safe to use.
For standard-sized raised pools, a 1-horsepower pump works perfectly to keep the water clean.
It gives you a selection of the best. They are all very good above ground pool filters but my favorite one is Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH.