Last Updated: March 23, 2020
This has to be the most comprehensive look at the best water filter jugs anywhere on the Internet.
So, you don’t like the taste and smell of tap water and there is nothing more annoying than lugging around bottles of water. That’s not to mention the cost and inconvenience of always having to buy bottled water.
You can possibly try boiling the water but then you only end up drinking a ton of limescale from the kettle. A lot of this limescale is impossible to filter by the way.
The quickest and most cost effective way to drink clean, better tasting water is to use a portable water filter jug. It is with this problem in mind that I’ve written this post.
This article presents you with a list of recommendations on what are the best water filter jugs available on the market right now.
Each and every jug has been tested based on style, ease of use and taste of the water. So, let’s begin. Here are the best water filter jugs in no particular order…
- Detailed Look At The Best Water Filter Jugs
- Bobble Water Filter Jug
- BRITA Marella XL Water Filter Jug
- BWT (Best Water Technology) Water Filter Jug
- Stelton Water Filter Jug
- Cleansui GP001 by Guzzini
- Aqua Optima Clarion Water Filter Jug
- Black + Blum Eau Carafe
- Problems You MUST Know Before You Buy
- Comparison Table Of Best Water Filter Jugs
- The Best Water Filter Jugs? My Pick.
|Product||Best Features||Problems you MUST Know||Capacity|
|BRITA Marella XL Water Filter Jug||- Has big capacity options (2 or 3.5 litres).|
- Non-slip base and soft grip handle.
- Flip top lid for easy ‘one hand’ filling.
- Replacement cartridge easy to find and buy.
- Quick and easy to assemble all the parts.
- Electronic countdown that tells you when the cartridge needs to be replaced.
|- Can be slow to filter if you want to fill the whole thing up in one go.||2000ml or 3500ml (2L or 3.5L)|
|BWT (Best Water Technology) Filter Jug||-Provides “mineralised drinking water” i.e. it filters water with a flavour carrier magnesium that transfers flavour, clarity and aroma.|
- Approved by Good Housekeeping.
- BWT (Best Water Technology) filter jug also achieves the highest marks for taste in independent consumer tests.
- Comes with an electronic filter change indicator and refill without having to remove lid.
|- 2.7 litres might be too much for a single person household.||1300ml (1.3L)|
|Stelton Water Filter Jug||- Works with Brita Maxtra filters.|
- Reduces carbonate hardness meaning no limescale in your kettle and a better taste.
|- It is made from plastic and I can't find its BPA credentials anywhere.|
- Its round base means it won’t fit into the fridge door compartment.
- Difficult to use and not very functional.
- You don't get a free filter with jug like the others.
- It gets through filters quickly when compared to a standard BRITA jug.
Cleansui GP001 Water Jug
|- Designed by Italian company Guzzini.|
- Removes 99.99% of bacteria from tap water.
- Reduces limescale in your kettle / coffee machine.
- Slimline design fits in your fridge door.
|- It is slow and takes a lot longer to filter water than the average BRITA cartridge.||1200ml (1.2L)|
Aqua Optima Clarion Water Filter Jug
|- Designed to fit into any standard fridge door shelf.|
- Filter life indicator via a free app.
- Easy to pour through lid.
- You can also choose whether you want a 30 or 60 day cartridge replacement.
|- Not as big as some of the others so might need to be filled more often.||2000ml (2L)|
|Black + Blum Eau Carafe||- Small enough to use as a portable water bottle as well as jug.|
- Comes with binchotan charcoal, which is an active carbon that is made from tree branches and is very effective at filtering water.
- It neutralises the water’s pH levels.
- It absorbs impurities like chlorine.
- Through the charcoal, the filter bottle sends nutrients (magnesium, calcium and iron) back into the water.
|- If you pour boiling water directly into it, you will melt the bottle. |
- If you freeze this water bottle with the charcoal inside, the charcoal starts to splinter and leaves you with bits floating in the water – as charcoal is too fine to ingest it’s not harmful but can be sharp.
Detailed Look At The Best Water Filter Jugs
One of the most unique things about this bottle is that it has a date dial on the filter that reminds you when you originally fitted it. This means that you can easily tell when the recommended three month period is over. The Bobble water filter jug has a 2 litre capacity and takes patience to fill, I forgive its “slowness to filter” because it looks so nice and has lots of redeeming features….
- The Bobble Jug is very slim but still manages to hold 2 litres of water.
- The jug is free of PVC, phthalates and BPA.
- Available in 6 colours; black, white, blue, green, red and magenta.
- By designer Karim Rashid.
|Product Dimensions||27.6 x 17.8 x 12 cm|
|Volume Capacity||2 litres|
Pros and Cons
- It comes in either 2 or 3.5 litre filtered water capacity.
- The jug has an electronic interface that tells you when to replace the the filter.
- Uses the MAXTRA cartridge, one of the most popular on the market.
- Non-slip base and soft grip handle.
- It’s flip top lid is good for ‘one hand’ filling.
In the pack you get:
Registration card (x1)
Instructions for use booklet (x1)
Pros and Cons
The Stelton water filter jug is designed to reduce carbonate hardness and impurities from water. It comes from a Danish design company, has a 2 litre capacity filter jug but its round base means you probably won’t be able to store it in your fridge door compartment.
However, on the plus side, it works with Brita Maxtra filters, which are easy to get but note that it doesn’t come with a filter to start with. It also comes in 3 different colours.
- Enjoy fresh, clean water with reduced carbonate hardness and impurities.
- Use filtered water for your espresso machine or kettle to avoid limescale sediment
- Available in three colours: aqua, azure and smoke.
- Works with Brita water filters.
Good to know